Our teachers drilled us on thesis statements because they are so important to make an essay work. They keep both you and the reader focused on the essence of the paper. As a teacher of college students, they groan when I broach the topic. I find euphemisms that are less painful, "the focus sentence" or the "intent statement," but they are too savvy. This applies to you too, so stop moaning. Yes, they are essential in blog posts, but they do not have to be a pain.
The problem is that most of us were never specifically taught how to create one. When I ask a student to point out their thesis to me, they hunt around the introduction area for a sentence that looks thesis-ish. This is the first problem. A thesis does not accidently land in your blog post. You have to create one specifically. But, most students are simply told that a thesis statement is what their papers are about. That's no explanation.

No comments:
Post a Comment